Founded in 1974 by Hayward and Brian Johnston, Stevens Group began as a small father and son manufacturing and engineering business operating from their home garage.
Through the 1980's and beyond, Stevens Group designed and manufactured many of their own products including tractor mowers and walk behind mowers. From this background the company is well known and respected by municipalities and local governments nationwide. Today Stevens Group is a third generation family business and in 2021 moved into a purpose built 7,000 square meter facility on 3 acres. Stevens Group is still a privately held company wholly owned by the Johnston family. The family owns the property and facilities, and the shareholders provide all the funding.
IMPORTING & DISTRIBUTION
In 1988, Stevens Group diversified from manufacturing and engineering and began importing mowers from the USA. With generations of engineering experience at its core and its onsite engineering facility, the company was well equipped to modify and acclimatise imported equipment to ensure it worked optimally in New Zealand conditions. Although having a land area a little larger than the United Kingdom, New Zealand's population is only 5 million. This fact makes the companies' achievements with the brands it has chosen to represent to date truly amazing, well surpassing their supplier's expectations.
Stevens Group offers an exceptionally resilient business model in today's rapidly evolving market because of its experience in Manufacturing, Research & Development, Importing, Wholesale, Retail and Hire. These core strengths give Stevens Group suppliers a distinct advantage by ensuring that products remain relevant to the New Zealand market conditions, and can be distributed to market through the most effective channel for our end users.
We import, manufacture, and distribute world leading outdoor machinery that is perfected for acclimatised performance to best serve the New Zealand Market
To continue growing sustainably from sales of high quality capital equipment (including parts, service, attachments and hire), and have a worldwide top 3 per capita market penetration for all brands we sell.
We enrich the lives of our team with a positive & caring culture. Our commitment to innovation to make products unique compared to competitors keeps us relevant in the market giving job security.
We are committed to helping our dealers succeed by supplying products that are unique and aren’t found in the big box stores. We provide products that generate higher gross profit dollars to help them succeed financially, along with simple solutions for financing products.
Positive Customer Interaction
- Respond quickly to customers, give expert advice, provide a suitable solution and follow-up.
- Put our customers at the heart of everything we do.
- Always act to and uphold high ethical and moral standards.
- Treat every person the way we would like to be treated ourselves.
- Communicate consistently to ensure expectations are clearly understood.
- Encourage two-way communication to get the best ideas.
Exceptional Work Environment
- Provide a positive workplace that encourages high performance and professional development.
- Working together as an enthusiastic, passionate, motivated and focused team.
- Always looking for a better way of doing tasks, we find that way and implement it in a timely manner.
- Ensuring our products work better than our competitors — Perfected for Acclimatised Performance.
- Embracing standardization as a culture.
Innovation & Change
- We embrace change, making us leaders in this fast-changing business world.
- Look out for and embrace opportunities as they arise, to help achieve our vision.